Saturday, June 28, 2008

Back to laughing at polar bears...

Sorry Al, but this global warming scare is beginning to look a bit suspicious. It’s not that I don’t understand the principal. In fact, I can remember a time when watching news clips of polar bears falling off ice sheets not only made me laugh but think too about maybe turning a couple of lights off. Not anymore. Trouble is, the whole thing is beginning to feel a bit too much of a con now, especially in the UK. It wasn’t too bad when all I was asked to do was take a tiny piece of the collective responsibility but it didn’t take long for the tax man to dive in and insist that I should have to pay to be green. Stinging me every time I get in the car or go on holiday isn’t going to save the planet. What it does do though is make me less inclined to borrow my neighbour’s horse, nip down the shops and buy a cloth sack full of low energy light bulbs. Any good will that may have been has long since evaporated and I’m at the point now where I’m happy to rip down my list of ‘things I should do to reduce my carbon footprint’ and turn the fridge back on. I’ll file it away I think, for future reference under ‘You had me there for a minute’ along with Y2K, WMD and denim flares.

Recycling Jimmy

4 comments:

Andy Tilley said...

Just testing me widget

Jeffrey Ellis said...

Dude. I so agree.

(and thanks again for guest posting a month or so back!)

Andy Tilley said...

no worries mate, thanks for theopportunity. Is it just me or is the blogging traffic really slow these days??

Jeffrey Ellis said...

My traffic has taken a nose dive in the past couple of weeks.